Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"Dark Eyes" by Jamie Campbell!
*Review & Spotlight*

*Materials & images courtesy of Goodreads; review owned by Desert Rose Reviews.

Dark Eyes
~Released: February 13th, 2013

~Length: 27 Pages

~Genres: Young Adult, New Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance


**No longer available for purchase, as this novella has been expanded into a novel, and removed for purchase by the author.

Sixteen year old Ariel Cole doesn't know anything about the new guy in school except that she is strangely mesmerized by him. It's a pity Gabe doesn't want anything to do with her.

Determined to keep his past, present and future a secret, Gabe does everything in his power to avoid her questions. He warns her to stay away, he's too dangerous.

Not to be deterred, Ariel sets out on a mission to win him over. She will find out his secrets, even if that secret is deadly and capable of killing her.

Caught in the middle of an urban legend, Ariel and Gabe must face their darkest fears or the curse will be doomed to capture another victim in this thrilling short story.

 About the Author

Jamie was born into a big, crazy family of 6 children. Being the youngest, she always got away with anything and would never shut up. Constantly letting her imagination run wild, her teachers were often frustrated when her ‘What I did on the weekend’ stories contained bunyips and princesses.

Growing up, Jamie did the sensible things and obtained a Bachelor of Business degree from Southern Cross University and worked hard to gain her membership with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia.

Yet nothing compared to writing. Quitting the rat race to spend quality time with her laptop named Lily, Jamie has written several novels and screenplays. Spanning a number of genres and mediums, Jamie writes whatever inspires her from ghost stories to teenage love stories to tantalising murder mysteries. Nothing is off limits.

A self-confessed television addict, dog lover, Taylor Swift fan, and ghost hunter, Jamie loves nothing more than the thrill of sharing her stories.


 My Review

 2/5 Roses

I didn't find this book to be entertaining.  I see good ratings from other people, but I'm not sure why.  It's taken me several months to be able to come back and write an actual review.  The only thing I was able to think after reading this book was "...that was stupid..." and that was my review until now.  I've shaken off the shudders from this book, and can now write an honest review, so here we go...

The characters aren't very deep, especially the main character.  The plot was thin, and underdeveloped, and didn't have much of a point.  The writing was alright, but it seemed very much like it was written by a high school student, trying to write an angst and emotion-filled short story for a literature class.

While reading the entire book, all I could think about was how it seemed like a bad attempt at writing a spin-off of Twilight.  While he's not a vampire, his dark, death-filled eyes, and the danger she's in around him, because he'll have a strong desire to kill her for no other reason than blood-lust, seem a bit familiar.  Not to mention shallow, when that's the entire story!  Nothing else!  We simply get to read her hormone-filled thoughts about what she wants to do with/to a guy who wants her to leave him alone.  It's infuriating...

The biggest thing that made me cringe, was the immaturity of the writing, and the oozing, pointless drama.  She's "drawn" to him for no apparent reason, and starts obsessing about him.   He tells her to go away, she says no and lusts after him, while he, in return lusts after the desire to kill her.  She almost dies because of her stubborn obsession, but at least she gets that passionate, hormone-filled kiss!  Ugh.  Very dramatic, and not much depth or sincerity behind the plot and characters.

Overall, this story just didn't seem realistic or believable. By the end, I was just confused and shaking my head, and it felt like a waste of time.

This isn't a book I'd recommend.  The only reason I gave it two roses instead of one, is the fact that the author is a good writer, in the basic sense.  The story flowed well, and the writing was good.  I'm planning on reading other books by this author, and hoping those are deeper and more satisfying.

Thanks for reading!  Let us know what you think of this book and review, and be sure to share it with your friends =D

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rose!

    I saw your post on goodreads, so I figured to stop by and say hello! First, I want to say congrats on the new blog! We've all been there, so I know how much time and love goes into it. I think it is looking great, very appealing on the eyes and easy to navigate. But may I make one suggestion that may make it a little better for your viewers? When you review a book, I notice you leave the links to the book after your review which is fine. BUT, one thing that may help is adding a book summary/synopsis near the picture of the book. That way when a viewer comes on your page to read one of your reviews, they see the cover of the book, can read a quick summary so they know what the book is about before they read your review. The cover of Dark Eyes looked familiar, but I had no idea what it was about until I clicked on the link after your review. I just think it may help viewers connect with your review if they know what the book is about first.

    Again, it is only a suggestion and I hope you don't get offended. Your reviews are really good, lots of details and I like how you explained not only what you didn't like, but what you did like. :)

    Anyway, keep up the good work! I definitely will be stopping by to check out more of your reviews. Feel free to stop by mine and say hello! Also, don't hesitate to leave links to your new reviews in a comment on my blog. That way it reminds me to come over and say hi. I work 2 jobs on top of trying to keep up with my blog, so I sometimes get distracted!

    Best Wishes,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle
    http://www.themusescircle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Please feel free to share your thoughts :)