Friday, August 23, 2013

Slings & Arrows

~Titles~
Slings & Arrows
~By~
Julie Elizabeth Powell
~Genres~
Non-Fiction
~My Copy~
~Kindle eBook
~Self Published In~
2008
~Pages~
81

~Synopsis (from Goodreads)~ 
"Nobody expects to lose a child but when it happens what can we do? In the sea of grief that seizes the soul how can we swim against the tide? But when that loss is compounded in each minute of every day, what do we do then?

Slings and Arrows is a story about the consequences of a moment, a moment, which separates a mother and daughter in ways impossible to imagine.

It charts their parallel lives, each suffering, one knowing, one not.

It is brutally honest; an account filled with bewilderment, guilt, anger and pain yet it also holds the key to hope. That whatever happens, the bonds of love can never be broken."
~~~~~

~My Rating: 4/5 Roses~

~My Review~
While non-fiction isn't generally a genre I read very often, I do enjoy it from time to time.  The heaviness of reality can be good for a person who's used to escaping into fiction and fantasy.  This novella certainly gave me a good taste of reality, and for a moment, allowed me to connect to another person in a very special way.

Every mother who's lost a child would be able to relate to this story somehow.  Anyone who hasn't lost a child, won't be able to relate, but can sympathize easily.  Written in a way that draws the reader into every emotion and thought of this experience, this author creates a true look into a mother's pain.  Sharing her experience through fear, anger, confusion, and the finality of death, she has created a story that any mother who's experienced that loss can find comfort in.

This is certainly a hard book to read, and made my heart go out to this author.  Reading about her experiences and her life through this situation was heart-wrenching, but something that I'm glad I read.  I would recommend reading this book to anyone who's going or gone through a similar situation, and to anyone who's read or planning on reading the author's book Gone.

*I was given an eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.
~~~~~
~Book Links~

~Purchase Links~

~Author Links~