Friday, May 30, 2014

*Review*
"Rewrite Redemption" by J.H. Walker!

Rewrite Redemption

~ByJ.H. Walker

~Published: January 25th, 2013

~Length: 391 Pages

~Genres: YA, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance

Goodreads
Shelfari
LibraryThing
Amazon


She’s sixteen. He’s seventeen. They don’t know each other…at least not yet.

She has a secret and her whole life revolves around keeping it. Every few months and with little warning, she simply disappears, pulled into the past for hours or even days. She’s terrified it will happen in front of someone, changing her life forever. So far, the only witnesses have been her parents, and that didn’t end well. She has no control over it and no idea why it happens to her.

She wants answers.

He has answers—at least he understands what’s going on. He has a secret, too. He’s part of an organization that goes back in time to rewrite reality. But he also has a problem. He broke the organization’s number-one rule by altering his own timeline. As punishment, he’s been blocked from time travel, which is most unfortunate. Because the changes he made to his timeline, accidentally resulted in disaster for his family. A disaster he’s now prevented from repairing. No one can travel beneath the organization’s radar except a Shadow. But they’re rare, so rare he’s never even met one.

Then he moves to her town.

This is a YA romance with paranormal/sci-fi elements.



~ 5/5 Roses ~

The idea of time traveling is exciting, right?  Only if you're controlling it...being unexpectedly yanked into the past against your will, that's just terrifying.  That's what A.J. deals with, every few months.  Except, the trips are happening more frequently...and she's staying in the past longer.

Hiding behind her walls of rules, shielding herself from people, she quietly deals with the guilt of her mother's death, and her father's depression.  Living in her tree-house with her two best friends is her only source of happiness- without Lex and Ipod, she may not be able to handle her curse...

Constantine, on the other hand, loves traveling back in time.  He does it on purpose, though, and is part of a guild who taught him to use his abilities.  They also punished him when he abused his ability, leaving his brother paralyzed.  When his parents move to a different state to start fresh, he desperately tries to cope with the guilt of his little brother's new hardship in life, while not losing his sanity being away from his tree.

His world flips upside down (again) when he meets this shy, quiet, remarkable girl, who has an effect on him he wasn't expecting- like someone from the guild...only, she's not registered.  She's a shadow, and possibly the only hope for his family's happiness.

While A.J. usually tries to stay away from everyone at school, she can't get the new boy out of her mind.  Or the weird effect he had on her- including her passing out, and she's sure it was because of something he did to her.  Who is this new guy, and why is he so interested in her?

This book is full of secrets and exciting twists.  Just when you think you know what'll happen next, everything shifts, leaving you on a new set of surprises.  Each chapter switches between the points of view of A.J. and Constantine, giving the story a well rounded depth, not found in many series.  With brilliant, natural writing, this book captures you from the first page, and doesn't let you go until the last word.  Even then, it leaves you desperate for more!

The warm, deep characters quickly draw you in, and make you part of their world.  The incredible message in this story, that family isn't always blood, is shown in one of the best stories ever created.  With deep influences of music, nature and science, this is by far one of the best books you'll ever read, and should be on the shelf of every YA fan.


My life has been rather unconventional. Born insanely curious into an authoritarian, religious family, I know what it’s like to not fit in. My teen years were a struggle, and I remember them in all their intensity. That’s why I like writing for young adults.

I grew up in Central America, surrounded by jungle, and was never too far from the ocean. I observed other cultures, including an indigenous tribe that, at the time, had seen little of the modern world. While there, I slept in a hammock in a bamboo hut, dressed in tribal clothing, and helped bring three babies into the world in at the tender age of fourteen. I survived a hurricane aboard an ocean liner, canoeing through alligator infested waters, P.E., my brother’s pet tarantulas, sky diving, parasailing over the Pacific shoreline, rock climbing, a ropes course blindfolded, and walking barefoot across hot coals. I’m not done having experiences.

I attended the University of Colorado, Boulder, but was so obsessed in my quest to understand human behavior; I left midstream to travel the country and study with people doing groundbreaking work in the field. I’m certified in Ericksonian Hypnosis, am a Master of Neuro-linguistic Programming, and have worked with world-class athletes, including members of the U.S. Ski Team. I’ve completed advanced studies with some of the most brilliant minds of my time in the field of NLP and am a perpetual student of sociology and human behavior.

I live with my photographer husband in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies. I’m surrounded by trees. And I will always remain insanely curious. 

~ Connect with J.H. Online ~

Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ LibraryThing ~ Website


Rewrite Redemption has recently been nominated for a Gold Medal for best Juvenile/Young Adult Fiction Book in the 2014 Independent Publisher Book Contest!!  It definitely deserves to win, and I highly recommend it to anyone.  A great story, by a wonderful author.  See her blog post about the award here!

Thanks so much for reading, and as always, 

Keep Creating!!

2 comments:

  1. Rose, thanks so much for that wonderful review. I love it when readers get my characters. They are very real to me, and I have to admit that I'm rather fond of them. And yes, family is more than just blood. Not everyone has an optimal family situation. Some have to look elsewhere for the support they need. The teen and young-adult years are hard enough as it is. And when your family life is difficult, it's important to find someone who can have your back. When kids in bad situations find a pseudo family, they move through those difficult years far more easily. It's what saved the three of them. In the sequel, their family lives are better, but they run into new conflicts. I won't say what, ha. But Lex gets a new love interest. As for A.J. and Constantine, they're just beginning to figure out their feelings for each other. That gets complicated in the next book because of something that happens to A. J. The saga continues. I hope you'll join me when it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! It's certainly become one of my favorite books- I think the message you made, and the characters you created are fantastic. I love that the three of them have each other through everything life throws at them. My situation growing up was not one I'd wish on anyone else, and I know I would have loved to have had friends like Ipod and Lex.


    I'm very excited for the sequel! I can't wait, it sounds really interesting! Thanks so much for commenting and sharing your thoughts, and making me even more excited for book 2!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Please feel free to share your thoughts :)