Thursday, July 2, 2015

"Holding On and Letting Go" by Lucy Kelly!
*Review & Spotlight*

*Materials & images courtesy of Goodreads; review owned by Desert Rose Reviews.
**Originally published September 17th, 2013; re-posted for our TBT Review.

The Ties That Bind Us #1


~By: K.A. Coleman (Pen Name was Lucy Kelly)

~Published: March 10th, 2013

~Pages: 186

~Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance, Realistic Fiction

Goodreads
Is there a way to describe the ties that bind us together? What happens when one of those ties is unexpectedly severed? Can everything else remain the same? Will the other ties hold strong?

 Two years after her little brother's death, sixteen year old Emerson Caulfield returns to a home that she spent the last two years missing. In theory, everything should be the same. Her best friend, Matt, still lives next door. Her house is in the exact same condition as they left it. The scenery and hallways haven't changed, yet for Emerson, everything is completely different. The place may be the same, but Emerson is most certainly not. She returns home hurt, angry, and miles away from the girl she once was.

 The 60,000 word novel alternates between the perspectives of Emerson, who is struggling to keep breathing on a daily basis, and Matt, who wants to have his old best friend back so badly that he is willing to overlook the fact that she has completely changed. Though their friendship and relationship is a major part of the story, it takes backseat to the unique bonds between siblings, what happens when your worst enemy is in fact yourself, and the hardships that come with growing up and changing.

 About the Author

K.A. Coleman (AKA: Lucy Kelly)

 K.A. Coleman
I'm not really going to write a biography. Though I am supportive of the high schools and colleges I have attended, it's probably not actually the most interesting stuff about me. I'm going to do a list of five really random things instead for now

1) I like making lists. It's weird, and I never actually scratch things off of the list.

2) I sing and dance in the car like a maniac.

3) For the first six years of my life, I truly believed a shark lived under my bed. I watched Jaws at too young of an age.

4) Without a doubt, I am a night person. I am enormously grumpy when first woken up in the morning.

5) When I was younger, I read almost every Nancy Drew book, both new and old. I had a notebook, and I would take notes to see if I could figure out who the "bad guy" was before Nancy did. We probably tied.


 My Review

 5/5 Roses

To be quite honest, this review is difficult for me to write. Not because this was a book I didn't like, but because it's a book that's left me completely speechless, and touched me in a way I wasn't expecting. This contemporary realistic fiction novel is, by far, one of the best books I have ever read. I can't remember a story that's made me cry as much as this one has, and I loved every minute of it. The situations and events in this story are so real, and so deep, it's impossible not to be moved. 

The main character, Emerson (Emmy), is a young woman I can relate to very well. Many of the things she went through in this story hit close to home, and I loved connecting to her throughout this book. I think she would be a very relatable character to anyone who's lost a loved one, especially a sibling. All her friends are characters with personalities I think anyone can relate to as well, and associate with someone in their own life. The depth of the realism these characters have, and that this story has created, is truly breathtaking. Every single character grows, and overcomes obstacles in their lives, which fills this story with inspiring triumphs and achievements. 

This is truly one of the best books I have ever read, it both in story, and simply in the writing. It flowed smoothly, and while there were editing mistakes, they were no match for the powerful story Mrs. Coleman created. Overall, this is a book I plan on keeping for a long time to come, and plan on reading many more times. I'd recommend this story to anyone who enjoys young-adult realistic fiction with innocent contemporary romance. 

*I was given an ecopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review. 

What do you think of this book?  Does it sound like something you'd enjoy?  Let us know in the comments below!

If you enjoyed this post, please share it.

Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Carol, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. I hope you accept it :-) you can find my post here: http://moniquesmobooks.blogspot.ca/2013/09/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Carol is at Second Glance Book Reviews, another blog you nominated. I followed the post though, and you did nominate me as well, so thank you! :) I appreciate the nomination! :D


    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my I'm super sorry, I totally know your name is Rose :S
    I love to multi task and sometimes it catches up with me lol. Forgive me? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no problem sweetie!! I multi-task all the time, it happens :~) No worries!
    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is amazing!! Loved it so much. Made me cry, and I felt connected to Emmy as well. I love when a book brings out so many emotions, don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I so do! I love books that bring out emotions and allow the reader to feel connected and alive. I loooooved this book for that - it's such a relatable story, you can just feel it all happening. I cried too - I think most people would lol


    Thanks so much for stopping by, Jennifer! :D

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Please feel free to share your thoughts :)