Friday, July 11, 2014

*Review*
"The Best Kind of Trouble" by Courtney B. Jones!

A few months ago, I participated in a book tour hosted by Itching For Books, for the first book in the "Trouble" series, by author Courtney B. Jones.  From the synopsis and cover, I figured it would be a book I'd really enjoy.  Since it ended up being a not-so-good rating and review, I waited to post my review until the tour ended.  As the tour ended several months ago, I'm going to post my review for it today. 


I grew up in Texas where I still live with my husband, our two kids, and two dogs. I'm a recent college grad and an elementary school teacher.

I love to read and write love stories. I have an obsession with books. I own far far too many!

~ Connect with Courtney Online ~



The Best Kind of Trouble
(Trouble, #1)

~By: Courtney B. Jones

~Published: January 17th, 2014

~Length: 191 Pages

~Genres: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance


Ashley Parker knows trouble. And Nathan Williams--star quarterback and charming ladies man—is trouble. She knows he'll only break her heart. But that doesn't stop her from jumping in feet first. When her whole world is flipped upside down, her guitar and her lyrics become her only solace. Along with sexy guitar player Caleb Mathews. 

Fueled by heartache, love, and lust, Ashley finds herself in the best kind of trouble. Boy trouble.


~ 2/5 Roses ~

I'm honestly quite conflicted about my opinion of this book.  Being a musician myself, I was really looking forward to reading a book featuring a girl who writes and makes music.  I adore the fact that music is a main aspect of this story, and enjoyed the lyrics that were included in the story.  

That's the good - now for the not-so-good...

The main character is, unfortunately, infuriating.  The entire story is kind of odd, and throughout the whole thing, I kept thinking: “Ok, I guess technically that could happen, given exactly the right circumstances and an insane amount of luck...or in a fantasy...but things don't really happen like that.”  It was very much a contemporary urban fantasy, with a classic “Two guys and a girl” kinda twist.

For the most part, I just didn't like all the drama.  I knew going in that it would be an emotionally driven story, but there was so much unnecessary melodrama, it made me want to stop reading.  Young college girls can be dramatic, but she wasn't a teenager, and the things she went through seemed very early high school.  I couldn't help thinking “Where the hell was she during high school, because she's acting like she's 15 and just discovered wild hormones for the first time.”  I simply couldn't picture her as a 20 something college student in her 3rd year, I saw her as a high school student with a bunch of college friends.  This probably would have been a bit more believable had it been in a high school setting instead of a college.

Basically, that's my biggest gripe with this book: it's not believable!  On top of that, the copy I had was filled with far too many mistakes to be acceptable.  Misused words, incorrect forms of words, missing words, and mistakes that simple Google searches would have fixed, made reading this even more infuriating.  If these issues were corrected, I suppose this book would earn 3 stars from me.

Bottom line: this book needs to be re-edited (if it was ever edited at all); since some people like drama, and would enjoy this book, I wouldn't say “stay away” from it, but also would not be surprised if people don't like it.  While I don't think I'll ever read it again, I would be willing to read the sequel, because it did end on a cliffhanger, and one that made me go “wait, what??”  It is an interesting story overall, and for people who like a ton of drama and who aren't looking for realistic characters or situations, this book may appeal to them.

*I was given an eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.


To see my UnPlugged review (with spoilers & more book info) please visit my UnPlugged post here!

Thanks for reading, and as always:

Keep Creating!!

~Images & info provided by Goodreads.com; review owned by Desert Rose Reviews.