Thursday, January 28, 2016

"Soul Cutter" by Lexa Cain!
*Review & Spotlight*

Hiya guys! I'm so excited, I've actually had a little bit of spare reading time lately! Yay! 


I've got a really cool book to share with you guys today, one that's been on my list to review for far too long. I've started it probably five different times, and finally got the chance to finish it this month! Whoot!

I really enjoyed it, and hope you do too! Check it out!

 Soul Cutter
~Released: December 6th, 2013

~Publisher: MuseItUp Publishing

~Length: 300 Pages

~Parent's Guide: PG-13

~Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Horror, Fantasy


The Soul Cutter is hunting again.

Seventeen-year-old Élan spends her free time videoing psychic scams and outing them online. Skepticism makes life safe—all the ghosts Élan encounters are fakes. When her estranged mother disappears from a film shoot in Egypt, Élan puts her medium-busting activities on hold and joins the search.

In Egypt, the superstitious film crew sucks at finding her mom. When a hotel guest is killed, whispers start—the locals think their legendary Soul Cutter has come back from the dead. Élan's only ally is Ramsey, a film-crew intern, but he’s arrogant, stubborn—and hiding dangerous secrets.

When Élan discovers the Soul Cutter is no scam, she finds herself locked in a deadly battle against a supernatural killer with more than her mother’s life at stake.

Élan is fighting for her very soul.

 About the Author

 Lexa Cain
Lexa Cain lives a stone’s throw (if you throw it really hard) from the beautiful beaches and turquoise waters of the Red Sea. Despite the scenic delights, she’s an indoor gal *cough* couch potato *cough* and can usually be found hunched over her computer, working on YA and NA projects, including a sequel to Soul Cutter. 




Gritty, stomach-twisting adventure.

I knew this was going to be a book I enjoyed, simply from the blurb. I love stories about Egypt, mysteries, and suspense - perfect match for me!

Élan is a refreshingly relatable character. While reading, I could easily picture several people I know in real life who she reminded me of. At the same time, she was unique, in an honest way. She was actually dealing with life, and while her life isn't quite "normal" by any means, it was still realistic.

I loved the fact she had a hobby and interest, using modern stuff. Putting tattle-tale videos of fake psychics up on Youtube - so awesome! I could see some college kids doing something like that, which added a unique layer to the story, especially in the beginning.

Once she gets to Egypt, I was hooked. I haven't been there yet, so I'm not sure how realistic the descriptions or depictions were. Even so, the words painted a marvelous picture for me, and I almost feel as though I was there. I would love to read more about these characters, and I'm so excited for the sequel!

The whole book had an element of grungy grit to it, in the sense that it's down-to-Earth. The suspense was gripping, and I really felt connected to the situation. The writing is superb, and I look forward to reading more from this author. The switches between Élan and Ramsey were fairly well done, and while it's a difficult writing style, I admire how well the different POVs mixed. I definitely plan on reading this one several more times, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

*I received an eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.

Let me know what you think of this book & review!

If you enjoyed this post or review, please share it with your friends!
Thanks for visiting! =D