Tuesday, January 17, 2017

YA Paranormal Adventure!
*Review*

Hiya guys! Been a while since I've done a simple review post, and it's quite refreshing!

As you may or may not know, one of my goals this year is to read a book a week, and get myself back into the habit of reading. Part of that means I am hoping to have a review a week to post here!

Anyway, the book I read last week was one I've been wanting to read for a couple of years, and I love the cover! I just wish I would have enjoyed it as much as I enjoy the cover. =/

 The Mind Readers
~Released: December 7th, 2010

~Length: 238 Pages

~Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Supernatural, Romance


Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth …that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers.

But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she’ll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.


Check out my review below! 




For a more candid review, check out my post for it on my Unplugged blog! Be sure to let me know what you think of this book in the comments below before you go!

 My Review

 3 Roses

"This isn’t some high school drama bullshit." Logan, Mind Readers

My thoughts exactly, Logan! It's like he could read my mind!

For most of this book, I found myself thinking just that - there is too much high school drama! For a girl with super-human abilities, who can read the minds of others, and has an obvious rebellious streak, she sure is pathetic. Perhaps I've known too many rebels, or maybe I have more in common with Cameron than I'd like to admit. Either way, her pathetic drama irritated me.

Personally, I did enjoy the basis of this story. The overall plot and setting was awesome, reminding me of a sinister X-Men. The drama though, I just couldn't get past. Granted, she is in high school. She's 17. Hormones are there, feeling like a freak is understandable, and her life is tough.

Thing is, I've moved a lot too. I've lived that kind of life, and I am naturally a quiet person - introverted and shy. Moving a lot makes you smart. You see the world differently. Cameron, didn't. She acted like a spoiled brat who'd never heard the word no, which was ironic, since it was hearing "no" from her Grandmother for years that set her off.

Her back and forth with Logan, constantly questioning everything simply doesn't fit with someone who's moved a ton, is always in new situations and having to adjust to major life changes. Someone with that kind of history learns quickly to survive, not just exist. Her character would have fit a whole lot better had she had the upbringing of her friend in the beginning, never having moved or had to worry about much, or learn to adapt or survive.

That was my biggest irritation with this story - the character didn't fit her circumstances, or the psychology that would happen behind the events she'd experienced. Beyond that, her quickness to give into hormones and lust was disappointing, and made her seem a bit like a soap-opera drama queen.

The cliffhanger at the end actually did make me curious of the sequel, simply because I'm hoping as she grows up and as an adult, the drama will drop a bit. Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't say don't read this book, although I would caution against it if you don't enjoy books with a lot of drama, because this one oozes every kind of drama that exists.

 About the Author

 Lori Brighton
As a child, thoughts of far-off places and adventure consistently kept Lori up late at night. After graduating high school, she came to the conclusion that there was no better way to seek adventure and nourish her love of history than to become an archaeologist. She went on to receive a degree in anthropology, but digging in the dirt during humid Midwestern summers wasn’t exactly as fun as she thought it would be.

Instead, she went to work in an air conditioned museum where she spent her days surrounded by creepy Victorian animal mounts. Still, she wasn’t satisfied. 

Deciding the people in her imagination were slightly more exciting than the dead things in a museum basement, she set out to write her first romance novel. That book was soundly rejected. As was the next. Years went by and she began to wonder if she’d ever see her dream fulfilled. Until one day she came up with an idea for a book that brought together her love of history and adventure: a book now titled Wild Heart. Since Wild Heart's release, Lori has written Historical Romance, Contemporary Paranormal Romance and Young Adult. 

Lori currently resides in the Southern U.S., where she juggles her time between a husband, a son, a golden retriever, a cat and the many, many people in her imagination. 



Do you enjoy books with characters who have supernatural gifts? Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for visiting! =D