Monday, March 23, 2015

10 Things That Happen When You Write a Negative Review

Hey there, peeps!  Hope you're all having a great start to your year!  Mine has been...interesting.  I'm doing a lot of updating on my blog (if you haven't already noticed), and one thing I want to work on, is having more "writing" posts, instead of just events, tours, and reviews.

So, that's what I've got for you today.  Recently, I had to write a somewhat negative review, and it got me thinking about the people who ask me what it's like to rate a book low or write a review that's less than positive.

I thought "hey, blog post idea!!"  So, today, I'm going to do a post on the 10 Things That Happen When You Write a Negative Review.  Basically, I'm going to try and illustrate the internal struggle I go through every single blasted time I have to review a book I didn't like.  #thestruggleisreal

So, here we go!!

1) You feel upset at the book for making you not like it.  Basically, there's the "why did you have to be bad!!?" feeling that comes up, and you want to try to make the book better.

giphy.com

2) You try to remind yourself of the things you liked about it, but realize the reason's you don't like it dog pile the few good things, and it's no contest.  It just wasn't good.

giphy.com

3) You try to write it as positively as possible, finding happy synonyms for "negative" words.  Cuz let's face it, writing like a jackal doesn't help anyone.

giphy.com

4) You question whether the book was really that bad, and skim through it again, having that list of why you didn't like it dog pile you again.

giphy.com

5) You worry the author's day will be ruined by reading your review.

giphy.com

6) You wonder if you should even post your review, but remember that you agreed to - that's why you read it in the first place.  If nothing else, it's what you do - you're a reviewer.

giphy.com
7) You defend yourself in your head to the surely very angry author who's week you're going to ruin.

giphy.com

8) You re-read your review 8,000 times (ok, not really.  More like 8 times) to make sure it's not too harsh, and simply constructive and as kind as possible.

gifsoup.com / via giphy.com

9) You stare at the "save" button for what feels like forever, wondering if it's all worth it.

giphy.com

10) You post your review, and feel a bittersweet mix of dread that the author and people who actually liked the book will hate you, and relief that at least it's over.

giphy.com

On to the next book!!

Ok, so I know not everyone feels these things when they write a negative review - obviously, cuz some people are just mean!  It's what I feel though, and hopefully someone out there can relate.

What are some things you guys go through when you have to rate a book negatively, or have to be, shall we say, "less than enthusiastic" with your review?