Saturday, June 20, 2015

Authors Upset Over Bloggers Sharing Their Work

So, recently on Facebook, I saw a post by a fellow blogger about an email he/she had gotten from an author.  The email basically said the author was upset the blogger had shared the book's cover on FB, and wanted it removed, or they would get a lawyer.

 WiR hands up shocked gif

The language used by the author was completely rude and inappropriate, complete with profanities.  The author was obviously very upset, and out of patience with "bloggers [who] think they can do whatever they want f**k whoever else."  I don't really understand why, at all.

Let me show you what I'm talking about:

I don't understand this, at all. Bloggers, especially book bloggers, literally live to share author's work, and/or their...
Posted by Desert Rose Reviews on Friday, June 19, 2015


If you had a hard time reading the email, here's what it said:

"To whoever you are,


My name is [blank] I'm the author of [blank] and I just saw the cover of my book [blank] on your Facebook. I didn't ask you to put it there. I think it's inexcusable for you to think you can just take my sh*t and post them wherever like that. I didn't give you permission and I want you to remove it immediately. That's stealing. You're stealing my work and I will report you. I hate how you bloggers think you can just do whatever you want f**k whoever else. This is my livelihood you're f**king with and that's just bullsh*t. I'm giving you until this afternoon to take my book cover and all the links off everywhere you shared it or I will get a lawyer. 

This is your only warning.

[Name is Blacked Out]"

I've seen this happen before, plenty of times, and I just don't understand it.  For the authors out there - would you/have you reacted like this to seeing your book shared/promoted somewhere?  Fellow bloggers, have you had something like this happen to you?  Let us know in the comments below - I'm curious!

4 comments:

  1. That's horrible. If a blogger randomly decided to share my book I would be honoured, not act the way the author had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's horrible. If a blogger randomly decided to share my book I would be honoured, not act the way the author had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why authors do this, but I'm glad it only seems to be a few. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. On June 23rd, @Shelique Symonett commented: "That's horrible. If a blogger randomly decided to share my book I would be honoured, not act the way the author had."



    I apologize, Shelique, for your comment not appearing on it's own. Disqus has been having glitches lately since Google updated their systems, and while I'm working with them to fix this, your comment isn't showing up with Disqus. Thank you so much for visiting though, and leaving your thoughts. I completely agree with you - I'd be so happy if a blogger decided to share my work.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Please feel free to share your thoughts :)