Thursday, September 17, 2015

"Lost Shadows" by Julie Elizabeth Powell!
*Review & Spotlight*

*Materials & images courtesy of Goodreads; review owned by Desert Rose Reviews.
*Originally published on September 14th, 2013; re-posted for our TBT Review.


Lost Shadows
~Published: August 7th, 2012

~Pages: 276 

~Parent's Guide: PG

~Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Thriller
Not only had Adam lost his parents in a car crash, but he’d also forgotten who he was. Pamela is haunted by the patient who was murdered by her father. Barbara and Mike have mysterious secrets. Harry seeks solace at the bottom of a glass. And why is Mildred so afraid? While Helen’s mind gathers dust, Lizzie mourns the loss of her, and her husband. Both Penny and Jane are frantic to find their daughters, if in different ways. Rick wonders what to do about his family. And who is William?

Most are strangers, all are haunted by darkness – does this unite them, or is it something they must do that will free them?

Will they find what is lost?

 About the Author

Julie Elizabeth Powell

 Julie E. Powell
Hello everyone. If you haven't guessed by now I have a passion for words and have seventeen titles published in a variety of genres...all thanks to 'Lulu', Kindle, much hard work and sleepless nights.

My eldest daughter has flown the nest, and is married to a man who doesn't mind his mother-in-law, though my son is still fluffing his feathers.

My middle child is off on a mysterious adventure, the like of which I can only guess...and tried to do so in my first book, Gone.

I love to read and am looking for ways to double time so to indulge in the mysterious and wonderful and delicious and strange...my favourite kind of story. 

Writing is my passion, though I enjoy creating handcrafted cards, 'crafts', jewelry making, scrap-booking and dabbling in encaustic art whenever I can. 

Oh yes, I used to teach or mark exam papers but now concentrate on writing and enjoying my new life, which materialized, as if by a miracle. Though still dislike all those necessary domestic chores that would, for me, be included in the Rings of Hell!

That's it. Thank you to anyone who reads my books...enjoy the flight!


 My Review

 4/5 Roses

This story follows the experiences of several different people, all with the climaxes of their struggles happening at the same time, completely unknown to anyone else. Several strangers living their lives, seemingly independent of each other, but in reality, effecting each others futures in ways they couldn't imagine. This rich plot keeps the stories of several up-front and important characters spinning in organized chaos, then pulls it all together, making sense of it all in the end.

It was interesting, taking a deep look into the mind of each character. Comparing their separate and unique ways of viewing life and tragedies was akin to a psychological study. All very unique people, made up of different issues and pasts, yet all with the same kind of darkness haunting them. Getting a first hand look at their thoughts, confusion, doubts, and the things they're each hiding from, made for a deep mind-twisting read.

The writing in this book was incredible. Julie Elizabeth Powell was able to keep so many warped minds organized and flowing, laying them out in a story that keeps you on your toes. Overall, I enjoyed this book. While it deals with real issues, pain and life, it's refreshingly deep and left me with a feeling of completion and relief.

*I was given an ecopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.

What did you think of this book?  Of the review?  Let us know in the comments below!

If you enjoyed this post, please share it.

Thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one! I love character development and from your review it sounds like there's plenty of that. Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There is certainly a lot of character development. One of those books where you follow several characters through their growth and personal development. Good book :~)

    Thanks again!
    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much! I am delighted you enjoyed it. Lost Shadows will soon be an audiobooks too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! :D So awesome it's going to be an audio book =)

      Delete
  4. I bought Gone from this author as well as another eBook of the same genre by the same author, have an understanding of the anguish of losing a child and believe this author shares her emotions on a deep level with her readers, with a deft touch to the keyboard. Her writing skills are phenomenal and hard work apparent. Good luck and I enjoyed this review. I'll be posting a review of my own when I'm finished Gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a wonderful writer indeed. I've read several of her books, in different genres, and they've all been very good.
      I'm glad you enjoyed my review - thank you for stopping by and visiting!

      Delete
  5. I see I didn't comment fully on Lost Shadows. I'm just beginning to follow this author and find the journey exhilarating. A psychological study such as this is very difficult to maintain and I can imagine there are many POVs, too. A difficult task and sounds from this review as though it is successful. Congratulations, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is certainly talented at finding a way to depict deeper human emotions and situations. I enjoy her work quite a bit for that reason. I hope you enjoy everything you're able to read of hers!
      Thanks again for stopping by, and for leaving your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of characters. With such a large and disparate cast, telling a unified, satisfying story is the mark of a skilled writer. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. She is definitely a skilled writer.
      Thank you for stopping by, and for leaving your thoughts :)

      Delete
  7. Julie is a wonderful writer with a ton of imagination. I have not read this one, so this excellent review gives me a glimpse. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a wonderful writer indeed! I've enjoyed everything I've read of hers so far. If you get the chance to read this one, I hope you enjoy it :)

      I'm glad you enjoyed my review - thank you!
      Thanks for stopping by, and for leaving your thoughts!

      Delete

We love comments!! Please feel free to share your thoughts :)