Friday, March 17, 2017

"Mindspeak" Review ~ Friday Fun!

Hiya guys! TGIF! Anyone else loving today? Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Are you wearing green? I know I am!


DRR has a new review to share with you today! It's one I actually read for fun, instead of for a tour or R4R request.

That's probably part of what disappointed me so much. =/

Check it out, and see what I thought! This review is the one I'm posting on Goodreads & Amazon, and is my "plugged in" (professional) review, sans spoilers or deeper insights. I also have an UnPlugged review, which does have spoilers, and a bit deeper look into my thoughts and reactions for the book.

It is a slightly bummed review, just a heads up. If you'd rather skip this post, please feel free! =)

Mindspeak(Mindspeak #1)

 Mindspeak
~Released: June 6th, 2013

~Publisher: Sun Publishing

~Length: 396 Pages

~Genres: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Sci-Fi, Romance

(FREE!)

She was created for a purpose so revolutionary, someone was willing to kill for it.

Seventeen-year-old Lexi Matthews keeps two secrets from her elite boarding school classmates—she’s the daughter of a famous and controversial geneticist, and she can influence people’s thoughts.

But after new student Jack DeWeese heals her broken arm with an anything-but-simple touch, he forces Lexi to face a new reality—her abilities reach much further than speaking to the minds of others.

After Lexi’s father goes missing and she receives threatening emails, she can’t decide whether to fall into Jack’s arms or run and hide.

As Lexi seeks answers to what she and Jack are, she discovers a truth more unsettling than anything her science books can teach. And letting Jack into her life of secrets is not only a threat to her very existence, but it just might break her heart wide open.

 About the Author

 Heather Sunseri
Heather Sunseri is a recovering CPA who began writing novels in order to escape the mundane life as a muggle. After twenty years in the corporate world, Heather decided to use her business savvy and curious mind to start a publishing business anchored by fictional stories. She is proof that one can be a numbers person and a creative… And that it’s never too late (or too early) to get a do over. She’s married to the love of her life, mom to two amazing kids, and caregiver to the best golden retriever and one very, needy cat. When she’s not writing, she’s making homemade pizza and drinking Kentucky bourbon.





Two roses to me = it wasn't horrible, but not great, and I didn't particularly like it. Just want to put that out there, because this isn't a roast. It's not a terrible book, and I would still recommend it to others. However, I do have to review honestly, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I hoped I would.

That is probably the biggest part of this book that disappoints me - I wanted to like it, so badly! I was sure this was a series I'd fall in love with, and I was so ready to start a new series. I loved the idea presented in the synopsis, and I've seen this author's novels everywhere, with plenty of rave reviews to make them high on my TBR list.

Gosh, how I wish I liked it better.

If you can't tell by now, let me make it clear - I hate the fact I dislike this book so much. I wish I could say I enjoyed it. I wish I could say "Oh my gosh, this book is amazing! Read it now!" I went into it fully expecting that to be my reaction, because I love books of this genre, and I generally love them all.

This one though, I just couldn't enjoy. Half way into it, I had decided to just stop reading entirely, because I actually hated it, and was at a one-rose level of enjoyment. I planned to mark it a DNF, and just move on, griping and disappointed. When I went to look for a new book though, I found that my mind needed closure from this story. That alone, is what makes it a two instead of one rose. I did need closure with it, and couldn't just stop reading, even when I desperately wanted to. That does mean, to me, that the story is good enough to stick with me, and had it not been for the negatives, I would have adored it.

So, the negatives. Honestly, I'm just going to generalize them and sum them up quickly, because they are all personal things, that I really don't know that others would be bothered by quite as much. Mainly, the redundant back-and-forth "I hate you!" "Kiss me!" "I hate you!" "Kiss me!" Lexi had going with Jack. A third of the way into the book, I literally said "Enough already, for goodness sake!" My husband thought I was nuts for talking to a book. It just got sooo old.

I don't enjoy that kind of tension between characters, and while I know a lot of readers enjoy that, I just can't stand it. I like characters with strength, and the fact that everything else about this girl was supposed to be strong, it made that aspect of her character even more distasteful. I lost so much respect for her, and I genuinely think the story would have been far better, had the author just picked a path for her to go down: either she trusts him, or she doesn't. That would have fit the rest of the character's personality traits better, instead of sticking out like a sore thumb, thrown in to add needless drama and tension.

In every other aspect of Lexi's life, she made reckless decisions, fast and quick, and stuck to them, even if they turned out to be bad ones. Then, for no good reason at all, she wasn't like that with Jack. In real life, a person who feels that uneasy would make a decision and stick to it, if they have the kind of personality Lexi has. I am not able to enjoy a character if they don't fit themselves, and Lexi doesn't. That's my main complaint - the character development didn't fit, match, or grow in a way that made any kind of sense, unless she was actually mentally unstable, which is a whole other set of issues I won't get into.

My other big complaint, was the redundancy of events, and conversations. There were parts where the exact same conversation happened multiple times, and it held up the story's flow. Instead of moving forward and keeping the reader engaged, it felt as though the story took way too many u-turns into past issues, re-doing the same scenes in different scenarios. After a while, it felt as though I was reading the same story multiple times, with different reactions at each spot, which was frustrating. It didn't feel like a story that was progressing, but a story that acted more like a toddler's doodles, going everywhere and ending up with a headache.

These points are the biggest things that made me want to chuck the book, but for many readers, they wouldn't be bothersome. If it seems like a story you'd enjoy, then I do recommend it. Had I not had the issues I did, I would have loved the story overall. It is an interesting idea, and the details were awesome. I did enjoy the aspects of the supernatural gifts, and the way the author explored them with each character. It could have been done with half the story length, but I digress. Check it out if it looks interesting, and hopefully you'll love it more than I did!

If you want to see more of my thoughts on this book, check out my UnPlugged review here. There will be spoilers though, and it's more like a book-club discussion than a monologue review, so if you don't want spoilers, then read the the book first!

Thanks for visiting, and have a fantastic weekend! =D