Monday, April 17, 2017

"Keep On Believing" by Marie Higgins!
*Audiobook Review*

Hiya guys! Hope you had an awesome weekend! Do you celebrate Easter? Did you do anything fun?

I filled my weekend with a pretty awesome audiobook, and I'm excited to share it with you! It's a fairytale retelling, and was so good! Check out my review below, and be sure to leave a comment about what you think of this book!

Keep On Believing


 Keep On Believing
~Released: March 20th, 2016

~Parent's Guide Rating: PG

~Genres: Fantasy, Fairytale Retelling, Romance


Taking some of the family’s jewels, Ella Spencer and her brother left the kingdom in the dead of night, escaping the clutches of their evil stepmother. Ella realized they need a different life than one of a servant. Now living in a new kingdom, Ella believes this is where they can start over again. So far, it’s working…until her brother’s school teacher starts poking his nose into their business. She cannot tell him the truth, yet deep down inside, she feels that he might be her Prince Charming after all, and be the one who’ll save her from danger. 

Christopher Morgan is hiding secrets that he never plans to divulge. The sister of one of his students intrigues him, and he can’t keep from wanting to know more about her. When a man comes around asking questions, Chris fears Ella is not safe and he needs to protect her. But he finds that he is the one in need of a dream-come-true. Can he hope that Ella will be the one to rescue him out of his life before these secrets destroy him?



 Marie Higgins

Marie Higgins is a best-selling, multi-published author of sweet romance; from refined bad-boy heroes who make your heart melt to the feisty heroines who somehow manage to love them regardless of their faults.




 My Review

 5 Roses

A Cinderella Story. If that tagline gives you goosebumps and peaks your "oooo" reaction, then we've got a lot in common.

Fairytale retellings generally fall into the "really really good, or really really bad" category for me. Luckily this one was really, really good. It was different, and while the details were changed to be a retelling, they were awesome changes. Like most of you, my deepest experience with the story of Cinderella, comes from Disney, and the Brothers Grimm in their folk tale collection Grimms' Fairy Tales. Whether I like it or not, every retelling is compared to those two stories in my head, and they are large shoes to compete with.

To me, a good retelling is entertaining, and has enough of the same details or pearls of nostalgic resemblance to the original story, to allow the image in my mind not to be destroyed, while showing me a new story line. Complicated, hu? I hold a lot of respect for authors who successfully retell stories - especially fairytales. It's not an easy task, and this one is probably the best Cinderella retelling I've found so far.

Ella Spencer is a Cinderella I can get behind, completely. She is tough, can hold her own if need be, and kicks butt...as much as any woman can, in her world, anyway. Still, when love finds her, she doesn't push it away, knowing the man she's found respects her, and won't smother her independence, but help it grow. They'll help each other grow, because that's true love. I adored the relationship between Ella and Chris, and I was so happy it went the way it did.

I felt a whole lot of satisfaction, as the story continued and more pieces were put together to connect the plot points. I get irritated when details go unfinished, and plots have holes left gaping open. It's one of the marks, to me, that an author is talented, when all the holes are closed up, and all the details are connected. Marie Higgins is definitely an author I would read just about anything from, because she not only writes with flare and flow, mixing humor with adventure, but she paints a wonderful story.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, audio or written editions. While it is part of a series, it is a stand-alone novel, and can be read on it's own. I, however, will be looking forward to enjoying the rest of the novels in the series, and future books by this author.

*I received a complimentary audiobook edition of this book, from the author via Audiobookworm Promotions, to listen to in exchange for an honest review.

Let me know what you think of this book, in the comments below!

Thanks for visiting! =D